What is a Newborn Lifestyle Session and is it right for me?
At-home lifestyle newborn session is about the genuine connection and love that family members have for their new addition all from the comfort of your own home!
What are the benefits?
1. Comfort of your own home – a newborn lifestyle photoshoot takes place in your own home, using your surroundings as the perfect backdrop, where you are comfortable and relaxed.
2. Flexible schedule – In the studio newborn sessions normally take place before baby turns 3 weeks old but lifestyle sessions have no age limit on them and are much more flexible
3. Real life – capturing those moments of newborn loveliness and try emotion in which the whole family can look back on and remember
What to expect?
I like to shoot newborn lifestyle images in the nursery, master bedroom and living room however it’s more about finding the rooms with the best light and colour scheme.
The baby will determine the flow of the session and unlike a studio photoshoot there is no set schedule or plan. One of the main differences with home vs studio sessions is that studio sessions normally are more posed and formal. Whilst I will give some guidance on where to stand (this depends on where the light is), home sessions involve very little posing and direction. The result is a beautiful gallery of images that tells a story.
How to prepare?
1. Prep space – please please know that you do not have to have a perfect home. It should look lived in, especially if you already have another child. I would just focus a little on some simple decluttering (toss in a cupboard if needed!). I would also suggest opening all the curtains and blinds ahead of me arriving, to let as much natural light as possible and if you can give the windows a quick wipe as the camera can pick up all sorts of things in post processing.
2. Crack the heat up – Obviously this depends the season but in Manchester its usually pretty cold most of the year and babies like it warm and toasty. this is especially helpful in ensuring baby is calm and relaxed.
3. Collect any items you want used in the session beforehand such as blankets or stuffed animals etc
4. Please have the curtains and blinds open to let in lots of natural light. I love to photograph baby in cot, moses basket, with mum, dad and sibling on the bed, on the couch, anywhere comfy and cosy
5. For clothing I suggest wearing something simple. Solid colours light or dark. Try to get family members to stick with the same colour palette. Doesn’t have to be too matchy match
Finally, the most important part of any preparing is to be calm and relaxed. You are more than welcome to share babies schedule with me before I arrive and I will work around feeding, changing and sleeping.
Below is a snap shot of one of my in-home newborn photoshoots (taken pre-lockdown and following social distancing rules). All images shot with natural daylight. For more information on my packages offered you can find this here
Get in touch
Chloe Rose Photography specialises in maternity, newborn baby and family photography, in-home, studio or outdoor and servicing Manchester, Cheshire and the North West. For more information or how to book a session contact me here