Are you considering a photoshoot but aren’t sure what you or your family should wear?
I actually get asked this question fairly frequently from clients and whilst I’m not a stylist I’m happy to offer advice based on knowing what works with the choice of location, light and overall look of the photos. It can be hard choosing something for yourself but if you have to plan out other family members outfits too this is where it can feel a hit overwhelming so I’ve made some suggestions for how to keep outfit planning stress free.
What to Wear
- Plan in advance so you’re not leaving it to the day before and can’t find the item you need
- Don’t try to match, Co-ordinate. Try to find colours, textures and accessories that complement each other and the season. I tend to gravitate to warm neutrals or earthy tones as these seem to work with most settings/seasons and produce a very timeless image
- Keep location in mind. Select a colour palette that complements your setting e.g. if taking the images in your home you could pick out a few accent colours that feature within your decor. If it’s an outdoor session in spring then pastel shades and floaty material might work well
- Try to avoid wearing patterns or anything with logos or characters on as it can distract from the final image. Something like a small ditsy flower print can actually look great and whimsical, especially on a maxi dress
- Check within your current wardrobe and decide if anything is right before heading out to buy something new. I also have a small client wardrobe which is available for hire
- Make sure it’s something that you feel comfortable and free to move around in. If your running after little kids within a meadow you want to be able to move freely
Might also help for mums to chose the outfit you want to wear and build from this. Start with yourself instead of fitting yourself in at the end!
To provide one final bit of inspiration I have also created a board on Pinterest. If I can be of any further help or if you are interested in hiring one of the outfits from my wardrobe them please do get in touch in advance of your session.
I hope you find this useful xx